Monday, December 12, 2005

Why do the wicked prosper?

In Psalm 73, Asaph is wrestling with the issue of the riches of the arrogant and wicked. He comments that they seem to have less problems than the righteous and that they get away with their sin. After struggling with these issues over a number of verses he then enters God's sanctuary. It is at this point he is able to say, "then I understood their final destiny" in verse 17.

The glory and riches of the arrogant and wicked will only be for a short period of time. He then compares the joy of knowing God for all time with the temporary joy of riches.

This passage is still very relevant today. It can be easy for Christians to look at others who seem to have a comfortable lifestyle and envy them. However, once we take a step backwards and look at the bigger picture, we can say repeat verses 25 and 26 with the Psalmist:

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page