Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I have resolved that my mouth will not sin

This morning in my Bible readings I came across the following verse, which is taken from Psalm 17:3

"Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin."

The second half of the verse is the part that interested me. I have been reading the book of Proverbs recently which contains plenty of verses about the power of the tongue and the trouble it can get us into if it's not controlled properly. I expect most of us have experienced this in our life at some time or other! We've probably wished that we have kept our mouth closed on many occassions as the words leave our lips and we think "Oh no, I wished I had not said that."

It's very easy to blame other people or circumstances for us saying things that we regretted later. Most of us I guess find it difficult to take personal responsibility for our words. In this verse David is making a personal commitment that his mouth would not sin. He is not blaming others. David is taking full responsibility for his words and is determined to do something about them. This is a resolution that I need to make every morning and certainly before I open my mouth to criticise someone. Can you imagine the incredible witness it would be if all Christians made this commitment every day? Why not try it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
Include this form on your page